|Yoga Asana Guide|
Half Spinal Twist - Ardha Matsyendrasana
After the forward and backward
bending of the spine, the Half Spinal Twist gives a lateral stretch
to all of the
vertebrae, back muscles and hips.
1. Sit up on the heels.
2. Drop the hips to the floor on the left of
3. Place the right foot flat on the floor on the
outside of the right knee.
4. Bring the right arm to the floor behind the
spine, right under the shoulder. Reach with
your left arm towards the ceiling.
5. Bring the left arm over the outside of the
right knee. Reach around to catch hold of the
right ankle. Look over the right shoulder.
Beginners may hold the pose for 30 seconds,
working up to one minute. Release the
position and repeat on the other side.
• The Spinal Twist helps to keep the spine elastic by retaining its side-to-side mobility. Each vertebra is
rotated in both directions.
• The ligaments attached to the spine get this movement as well and so receive a rich supply of blood.
• Abdominal muscles are massaged. The large intestine in particular is stimulated
• This helps to relieve constipation, dyspepsia and other digestive problems. Toxins in the digestive system