|Yoga Asana Guide|
Sun Salutation - Surya Namaskar
2. Inhale and stretch your arms up over your head;
arch your body backward.
• The head and arms are alongside the ears,
looking diagonally up.
• knees are straight, hips pushing forward.
Remember not to drop the head back.
3. Exhale and bent forward, bringing the palms to
the floor next to the feet.
• If you can't place your palms on the floor
with the knees straight, you can bend the
• Reach with your head toward your knees.
4. Keeping your hands there inhale and bring your
right leg back as far as possible.
• Place the right knee on the ground, point
the right foot.
• Push you pelvis forward without losing the
90 degree angle of your left knee.
• Head is reaching up, whilst palms remain
on the floor next to feet in straight line.
• Right and left legs will alternate going back
on alternate Salutations.
5. Retain the breath and bring the left leg back.
• Body is in a straight line (push-up position)
from the head to the heels.
• Look one foot away from your hands.
6. Exhale and drop your knees, chest and forehead
to the floor.
• Keep the hips up.
• Without moving your body backward bring
your chest down to the floor between your
hands. Then bring the forehead to the
• Knees, chest and forehead are touching
the ground, hips are up in the air.
7. Inhale and scoop forward, looking upwards.
• Arch the chest up and bring the head back.
• Legs remain on the ground.
• Do not move the hands as you come into
• Elbows are straight and shoulders pushing
8. Exhale, curl your toes and push the hips up.
• without moving the hands or feet push the
hips up as high as possible.
• The hands are flat on ground, heels on the
floor. Head is between the arms; look at
your feet, trying to bring the chest to the
• This position is known as the inverted-V
9. Inhale and bring the right foot forward in
between the hands.
• Bring the fingers and toes in one line.
• Drop the left knee to the floor, point the
left foot, push your pelvis forward
reaching towards the right heel.
• Stretch the head up – same as position 4.
• Right and left legs will alternate coming
forward on alternate Salutations.
10. Exhale and keeping your the hands there, bring
the left foot forward next to the right foot.
• Forehead towards the knees, nose in
between the knees – hands are holding
• Keep the hips as high as possible.
11. Inhale; reach out and up, arch backwards -
same as position 2.
12. Exhale and bring your arms forward and down
along side your body, returning to the starting